Tuesday, March 28, 2017

QUOTE FROM JACKSON POLLOCK

"My painting does not come from the easel. I hardly ever stretch my canvas before painting. I prefer to tack the unstretched canvas to the hard wall or the floor. I need the resistance of a hard surface. On the floor I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more a part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting. This is akin to the method of the Indian sand painters of the West... When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It is only after a sort of 'get acquainted' period that I see what I have been about."Jackson Pollock.....

These art works embrace this attitude.They were made in this manner.These art works are mixed media;sand,oil and acrylic paint,string,wool,felt,discarded drawings of mine, on unstretched canvas, very large, ranging in size from 3'x 7' to 15' x 5'. The titles and the inspiration of the paintings are informed by literature about women who have experienced trauma,physical as well as mental...which include topics such as; the Lithuanian genocide,femicides in Juarez,honor killings,girls sold into sex slavery and the Holocaust. I"prepare my subconscious for painting"  in an almost sacred ritual.

I invite you to view these large emotive artworks in the hopes that they will affect you viserally I encourage feedback in the comment spaces,below. Scroll down to the end of each page and you will see the words"older posts"press that and you will be able to view other pages.


.I was told this body of art looks like a wound and the stitches which sew up a wound,how apropos.

Comments from my students about my work: Susan I think you definitely hit it right with the lump in the throat feeling. I was looking at your work and listening to the song and just had a sense of unease settle on me. I think the saddest part when I viewed the video you posted is the look of joy on the people's faces. You know that moment you get goosebumps because of the way something hits you? That happened when I looked at your piece and listened to the song together. First, I did them separately, but together...yes, definitely a lump in the throat type of moment. This piece of art is probably one of the most deep and riveting works I have ever viewed. I feel this is museum quality, right along the lines of the holocaust tragedy. I applaud your research and vision. I've always been fascinated and envious of people that can do layering like this and textile work. This is not only beautiful, but once you know the story and intent behind it, haunting as well. What a sad, sad thing that happened. The animal-like behavior, selling of the rope and postcards- inhumane. If we, as artists, don't keep that dialogue going and remind people of the past, then we risk repeating those mistakes. Very nice work.
I was told this art series looks like jazz.

I leave you now with this last thought....
"What is white?
It is the colour of mourning, because it folds all colours within it. 
Mourning is also endless refraction, breaking you up into bits, fragments". 

No comments:

Post a Comment